Home » Uncategorized » Illinois Veteran Grant – Veteran Services

Illinois Veteran Grant – Veteran Services

This is an amazing Illinois grant for any Illinois veteran, currently enlisted or getting out of the military, who wants to go to school! 120 Semester Hours are paid for with this Illinois grant, and it has a decent GPA requirement in order to maintain your grant eligibility. Veterans must be a resident of Illinois within six months both before and after 1 year or more of active service or who served on federal active duty service in a foreign country during a time of hostilities in that country, and received an honorable discharge. When it comes to tuition assistance, this Illinois grant is by far the best in the country!

This Illinois grant program pays eligible tuition and allowable fees. While benefits are limited to use only at Illinois public colleges or community colleges, qualified applicants may use this tuition assistance grant at the undergraduate or graduate level for the equivalent of four academic years of full-time enrollment! Illinois Veteran Grant units are based on the enrolled hours for a particular term, not the dollar amount of the benefits paid, so there is a cost savings opportunity if you want to save the state some money.

If the recipient fails to enroll within this Illinois grant program for another term of a regular school year (not including summer), unless for reasons of being called to federal active duty service, only tuition and any mandatory fees will be paid during future periods of enrollment. Basically, they want you to stay focused on completing your course work, so that you can complete your degree program.


To be eligible for the grant, you must have served in the armed forces, which is inclusive of the reserves and Illinois National Guard, for at least one year. If you are no longer serving within the armed forces, you must have received an honorable discharge. (ROTC members are not eligible for the grant.) If you do receive benefits from the Illinois Veteran Grant while serving in the armed forces, you must verify upon discharge that you did receive an honorable discharge. Anything other than honorable will require that you refund awarded grant funding back to the state.

You must also have been an Illinois resident before entering active duty, or be a student at an Illinois state funded college or university prior to entering service. If you were not an Illinois resident or a student at an Illinois college or university prior to entering service, you must establish or plan to establish Illinois residency within six months of your discharge from the service. Spouses of military services members can also apply, but the husband or wife serving within the military must have met the residency criteria mentioned in this paragraph as well. They must either have been an Illinois resident or student prior to entering the service, or plan to become an Illinois resident within six month of their discharge from the service.

Student performance, as well as financial responsibility, requirements are also essential to receiving the Illinois Veteran Grant. You must first not have defaulted on any student loans, nor owe a refund for any federal or state provided grants. Secondly, your grade point average must be maintained above the minimum GPA requirements for the school that you are attending as well. If you received benefits

How to Apply

You can obtain an IVG Program application from your college’s tuition assistance or financial aid office, or the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs field offices. Submit your complete application and required documentation as specified in the instructions. In order to ensure that your application is processed in a timely manner, be sure to carefully read the instructions, submit all required documentation, and contact a tuition assistance Counselor if you are uncertain about what documentation is needed.

Illinois Student Assistance Commission(ISAC) will send qualified applicants a Notice of Eligibility. It is important to keep a copy of the notice in order to present a copy to the college as needed. You must notify your college’s financial aid or tuition assistance office of your eligibility status as soon as possible, but not later than the last scheduled day of classes in the term for which a grant is requested.